Saturday, September 11, 2004

Happy Birthday to my little brother, who's not so little anymore!! He turns 23 today :) We had a nice time last night at my parents' house for dinner to celebrate. A beautiful night to have dinner on their deck (my hubby built theirs too:) My members only journal has the details of my workout from yesterday and the events of today. So don't forget to take a look.
In honor of September 11th...I have a remarkable poem to share with you tonight, in remembrance of all those who left this world...who went on,
to what is next!
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side
spreads her white sails to the morning breeze
and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until at length
she hangs like a speak of white cloud
just where the sea and sky come to mingle with eachother.

Then someone at my side says: "There...she is gone!"

"Gone where?"

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar
as she was when she left my side, and she is just as able
to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her.
And just at the moment when someone at my side says: "There... she is gone!" There are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!"

And that is dying.

Henry Van Dyke