Thursday, July 07, 2005

Beaming With Pride...For Alyssa!!
I am so proud of my daughter! At the beginning of the summer she and I set out 4 goals to achomplish this summer for her;
#1- Go down the water slide at the pool
#2- Do a flip-flop on her own
#3- Ride her bike without training wheels
#4- Reading fluently
Well, guess what..she has made number 1-3 so far and is working her way to number 4!! The waterslide was just the beginning of her confidence building this summer...it all started there:) Last night I took her to the middle school parking lot and took the training wheels off..for that "big moment":) This was something I had put off doing for a long time since we moved here 3 years ago. We live in a very hilly area and I just constantly put it off because we were doing so many other things...so I knew I needed to help her do this over the summer.
As I jogged beside her holding the back of the seat and then listening to her say.."let go mommy"- "let go" as I stood there watching her peddle away in front of me...my voice trailing behind her..I said " I already did!" She looked back and then started laughing...the smile on her face was just unexplainable...it's one of those kodac moments that's too special to take a picture of because you would miss it!
I stood there wanting to help her get those pedals started, knowing full well she needed to struggle to do it all on her own. So I stood there and watched, and waited, as she tried and failed and then tried and got frustrated, and then she got it!!
As she peddled toward me over and over and then had me stand in various places as she rode to me...I couldn't help but feel the magic of the moment..it would never come again and the look in her eyes of pride was what I felt on that stage April 2nd, as I won my first overall...she was feeling it now! And it was BEAUTIFUL to watch!
She threw away the training wheels at the video store and then when we got home she wanted to try out the bigger bike that she is just about ready for, and really fits her much better. She circled in the grass and laughed at what she could do.
Much more about the past few weeks posted to my members journal...
Have a great night everyone!
Jen;)