Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The 1st Days of Kindergarten!
Yesterday was the big day...I went to Alyssa's 1st day of kindergarten with her for a short two hour day. Meeting her teacher and organizing her school supplies in her classroom. The teacher gave us all a beautiful letter that I would like to share...

"Dear Kindergarten Parents,
I give you a wink and a smile
as you entered my room today,
For I know how hard it is to leave
And I know your child should stay.
You've been with your child for about five years
And have been a loving guide,
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave your child at my side
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow,
I'll love your child as I would my own
And help your child learn and grow.
For as a parent, I too know
How quickly the years do pass
And remember the day when I
Took my child to class.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more,
For I will nurture and guide your child
When you leave her at the door."

As I walked my little girl to her bus stop today she had excitement in her eyes and a smile upon her face. I thought quietly to myself...It's time to spread your wings little one, you have become such an incredible little girl!!! A few self snap shots and one taken by another little boy waiting for the bus and...There she goes:(
The tears choked my throat as I watched her make her way to the back of the bus and sit with a few older girls...remember the back of the bus:)
But conveniently, I signed up to be the snack mom for this week so I took a ride with the baby to her school to drop off the class snack and find out how her bus ride went. We hugged one last time and she skipped her way into her class. I dropped off her lunch and milk money and had one last glimpse of her as she put her backpack in her locker and called to a girl in her class that it was time to go in. A leader already...how I am not surprised!
The other mom I know from Alyssa's preschool was really a mess and I felt sad for her. Somehow in my life I truly found a way to keep "me" while raising our children! I know it is time for her to move on and try out her little wings that have become so strong and confident. I will be going to the gym in a bit when the baby wakes up from his nap, and then I will make a stop at the hospital where Alyssa was born. My friend Margaret and her husband Mark just had a little boy yesterday!! They now have a little girl (4) and boy, just like we do:)
Thank you for all your e-mailes ... always!!
Jen;)